Oxford, United Kingdom – October 25, 2018
2ndQuadrant today announced the release of Postgres-XL 10R1, now available for download here.
Postgres-XL is a massively parallel database built on top of – and very closely compatible with – community PostgreSQL. It supports both Business Intelligence workloads and high-volume transactional read/write workloads, all on the same platform.
Postgres-XL is fully open source. As we begin to move towards a fully parallel, sharded version of core PostgreSQL, many parts of Postgres-XL will be fed into later releases of PostgreSQL.
This major release includes most of the new features added in the latest major PostgreSQL releases such as query parallelism (PostgreSQL 9.6) and declarative partitioning (PostgreSQL 10), now both available in Postgres-XL 10R1. Additionally, Postgres-XL 10R1 includes several significant performance enhancements that have been made to PostgreSQL in the last few years.
This release introduces the following enhancements from major PostgreSQL releases:
- Declarative table partitioning.
- Improved query parallelism.
- Significant general performance improvements.
- Improved monitoring and control.
- Parallel execution of sequential scans, joins, and aggregates.
- Avoid scanning pages unnecessarily during vacuum freeze operations.
- Substantial performance improvements, especially in the area of scalability on multi-CPU-socket servers.
- Full-text search can now search for phrases (multiple adjacent words).
This new release also includes several bug fixes and enhancements that are Postgres-XL specific. The distributed planner code has been rewritten to utilize advances in the PostgreSQL code.
For a complete list of updates and bug fixes, read full release notes here.
For more information, please email info@2ndQuadrant.com